All,

Ok, so my questions about Rosen are of a really fundamental nature. You guys
are already WAY down the track.

In fact, could somebody clarify, in terms that a former english major would
understand, what it means to say,

"organisms are closed to efficient causation."
I read it and I read it and I READ it and it just doesnt STICK!

Would that amount to saying that Rosen believes that nothing is entailed by the
fact that you just poked a tiger with a pool cue?  Whereas, much is entailed by
saying that you have just poked a pool ball with the same cue?   If I changed
the words above from "entailed by" to "implied by" or "inferable from", does
Rosen get off the boat?   Would anybody who accepted "organisms are closed"
claim be willing to enter a tiger's cage with a pool cue KNOWING THAT the tiger
had just been poked with the same pool cue?

For the new year,  I dream of a world in which no two people are allowed to
argue  in  my electronic presence until the key  AGREEMENTS  that make their
argument possible are made explicit.  That is probably amounts to asking you
all to be as dumb as I am.  Hey!  I can ask!

Nick

OTHER STUFF FROM THIS THREAD

Message: 10