In relation to this, AFAIC, if it aint in open access, it aint
visible.  I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 10
years I've rooted around using my university's journal subscription to
download the official journal copy of a paper.

Usually, the stuff I am informed by is, in descending order a) in
arXiv, b) in some other open access journal, c) a preprint (preferably
electronic) that the author sent me, or found by means of a Google
search. I have to be completely desparate to go though universities
onlione subscription. I have never actually paid for a copy of an
article, and at $35 a pop, doubt I ever will.

As a consequence, ever since journals started asking me to sign over
copyright, I insist that I retain a license to publish the articles in
an open access preprint server, and on my on personal web server. This
quite often involved striking out text, or adding text to the
copyright transfer agreement, along with my signature. For the first
few years I did this, there was no pushback (did the publishers ever
read the returned copyright transfer agreement?), however once it had
the effect of delaying the publication of a collection by about a
month while their IP lawyers argued the toss. In the end, I got my
license, and the publication went ahead with my contribution.

More recently, I've found that the copyright transfer forms include
explicit licensing back to the author of certain rights, such as
posting on institutional or other eprint servers. I can't claim to
have single-handedly reformed the academic publishing industry - I'm
sure there must have others arguing their corner like me - but it
must've helped.

Back to the original topic - in today's world, having your article on
arXiv is no guarantee it will be noticed by anybody, but if its not
there, it's almost certain to be ignored.

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders