As the owner (and author) of an on-line store, I have a few comments:

On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

> Why do I need a login to buy stuff for example?  Yeah, I'd have to retype my
> address .. which the browsers seem willing to do for me.  They also remember
> the logins .. but we could make that illegal, or at least much less easy to
> opt-in for.  The credit card is LESS exposed during an atomic transaction
> than in laying around in a server.

For a software download, there is no need for any information beyond the credit
card (number, billing address, etc.)
For a shipment, we can use an email name to give the customer a heads-up when
it ships, and can send a tracking number.
Sometimes a user wants to check on the status of his order via the web; in that
case we need a password or some authentication.
If something goes wrong -- address was invalid, out of stock, etc. -- we need
an email or at least a snail mail address, or the user is screwed.

We are redoing our store, and most sales will be downloads. We will take email
addresses (optional but strongly recommended) and credit cards (not saved). The
user can optionally sign up for our newsletters.

2-factor authentication is good, but I'm leery of single sign ons, especially
with Google. I see it as another way they can track wherever I go. Also, the
backup is a long (15 characters? I don't recall exactly) password, which is
probably shorter than the passwords I use with 1Password -- which makes my
single password more secure as long it is never sent as plain text. If I don't
have to remember a password, why not make it 20 or 25 characters long. Having
said that, I agree that passwords are a pain.

I thought Git *is* a source control system.

Perhaps programming is getting easier because computers are getting more
powerful and so can handle the yucky parts like reference counting, garbage
collection, and I/O. But remember how dominant the following languages were in
their day:

C, C++ -- 1990
Java -- 1995
Perl -- 1995
VB and C# in the MS world -- 2000
Now JavaScript, which dates back to 1995 but was rescued by newer interpreters.

Outside the browser world, you could argue that Python and Ruby outrank
JavaScript. JavaScript will probably last as long as there are browsers.

--Barry