Marcus -
"But most people are driven by a dynamic complex of competing agendas,
including the kinds of conflict Steve asks about in his honor/oath
question.  Snowden, like
O'Keefe, _seems_ to me to be absent any interesting complex of agendas."

A contrary view is that only young people have a clear enough view of
things to act this way.  Old timers like me rationalize their fears,
inhibitions, constraints, and coping strategies as a proxy for wisdom.
Worse, we may point to the collective wisdom as better than an informed
individual's analysis.  Same thing as authoritarianism.

Marcus
Yer pretty smart for such a young feller!

No, seriously, this back and forth between you and Glen is very illuminating from my perspective. It is probably precisely what drove some folks from the list, but it warms my dark old soul to hear this kind of relative perspective being bandied about so deftly.

- Steve