Hi, Owen, and all,

You have me right.  There’s a big difference between entertaining a question –
noodling, if  you will – and demanding an answer.

Confession time:  I come from a world in which success is measured out in
published writing.  That’s not the only world, but it’s a world.  During my 12
years with you folks I have seen a dozen great papers slip through our grasp
and into oblivion on the FRIAM list for want of an easy way to transpose our
correspondence into coherent text, text that could be read with pleasure by
others.   I once was an experienced developmental editor …. Several edited
collections on various subjects.  Every time I read one of these email
exchanges I get itchy editorial fingers.  In fact, I always get itchy editorial
fingers when I see good ideas go to waste.

Owen, you are also correct that I have had this problem for years.  When I was
a professor I spent a lot of time working with the writing of students.  I had
a terrible time getting student to think of themselves as the sort of creatures
who had ideas about the world which they needed to defend in writing.   I had
an even worse time trying to convince them that people who disagreed with them
were their great allies in developing an argument.  They saw papers as
something you wrote to make professors happy, not as vehicles for changing the
thoughts of others.  But to my joy, when email distribution lists came around,
I got them to argue in email because they didn’t think of email as Writing.
In email, they found it easier to argue as if the arguments made a difference.
But I never could get them to take the next step and edit their correspondence
into collaborative writing.  I had to settle for letting them present their
email-arguments, reprinted in sequence, in lieu of final papers, which I did,
reluctantly, for years.

Even since that time, I have wondered what if a software could be invented that
would re-present an email discussion in its rhetorical order, so that email
correspondence could readily be seen as a step to the development of published
writing that convinces.  Would such a software unleash a flood of
collaboration?   I dunno, but I would love to see.

By the way, I have found the discussion about the “grammar of wanting” very
interesting.  It is the kind of issue that normally would lead me to join you
in the wallow, but I haven’t been feeling all that well, lately, and there has
been lots of incoming, so I have had to watch from the shore.  Let me just say
that I think that each of those ways of wanting corresponds to a different
higher order pattern of behavior, and that all of you are as privileged as I to
decide which kind of wanting I have been engaging in.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University