Two points:

The more mundane first. I think Nick is really *wanting* more than is implied by the specific question. I guess I would claim (if I understand Nick's intention well) that if *everyone* *always* left the included text from the earlier parts of the thread, the entire thread would exist in linear form (with whatever cruft each mailer adds to indicate inclusion) with full context. I find myself alternating between eliminating the text of what I'm responding to and leaving it entirely out, and "larding" ( a term Nick so generously introduced us to) my responses into the text. Each mode fits different contexts (and moods) for me.

The biggest challenge (I think) to leaving all the text included (other than just text/data bloat) is that many of us aren't responding to the entire linear text of every response that came before... we are often responding only to part of it which suggests a tree structure rather than a simple linear "thread" as we colloquial call it... it is more of a multi-filiament?

Both of these point to the value of an "editorial role"... which is there to tease out or highlight or contextualize this complex "conversation". I assume Nick is asking for syntactic help in rendering the myriad modes of inclusion and formatting down to something simple and linearized...

I still miss Nick's effort to set up a self-curated system for this with his "noodles" as introduced at SFx nearly 10 years ago. Very few of us (Arlo?) engaged in it, but it was interesting enough for me to give it a whirl...