On 10/28/2016 03:10 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
I've always assumed everyone else's does too... So, when one looks at the
content of a mailing list like this, they can _see_ trees of threads, right?
If not, I highly recommend a modern client. 8^)  It helps a lot.
I agree... but I think many/most don't see this view and I don't believe many
will obtain one soon nor easily.

It's just Mozilla Thunderbird (well, Icedove on one machine, Thunderbird on
another)... It's free and open source, which means anyone can have it if they
want it.  I also think I remember Eudora having a nice tree-based threaded
view.  Pretty much any usenet reader has it.  So, I'm confused why others
wouldn't use such tools.

 Maybe you can tell me how "Nick is wanting" structures your thoughts different from
"Nick wants"?
I think it is my perceived tentativeness of what I think Nick wants... meaning I'm not sure he
knows what he wants or understands the implications of what he wants.   I'm not sure about the
grammatical or semantic roots of this (why I use "is wanting" over "wants") but
it is interesting to me that you can call it out so clearly.   Unfortunately I am probably
conflating or convolving my own unsureness of what I *think* Nicks wants into what I believe to be
his own lack of clarity...

For contrast, I think I would be MUCH less likely to use the same phrasing to describe my understanding of
what I *think* YOU want... or Marcus... or many others here who have a crisper sense of confidence in what
you are asking/suggesting.   Our patron St. Stephen of Guerin, I am *much* more likely to use "he is
wanting".... perhaps Renee's "I am wanting" vs "I want" reflects some of this same
ambiguity of detail?   If she were more precise in her own mind about what she wants, might she be more
likely to use the more assertive?

That's intriguing, as is Marcus'.  I have noticed (and have the guts to point out for some reason) that lots of people express
their thoughts with an external locus of control.  My favorite example was when I noticed the CO^2 regulator on our office keg
was broken.  I asked my partner: What happened to the CO^2?  He said "It broke."  >8^)  I asked for more clarity
and he responded something like: "I was <doingsomethingorother> and it fell over and broke."  So, I asserted:
"Do you mean that you broke it?"  And he relented and said "Yes."

Perhaps there is something of that in both your and Marcus' response.  It's a
kind of removal/abstraction/distancing from any intimate knowledge or clarity
surrounding the itch ... left wanting some scratching.

--
☣ glen