For those of us who refuse to contribute to Musk's reality distortion field:
https://thealliance.ai/

Yeah, it's interesting. 2 questions came to my mind: 1) Where is Mozilla? Are they a part
of it? And 2) "open" is not a simple concept. Is it possible that so many
organizations have a clear understanding of what it means? If so, what do they mean?
We've seen, over and over again, a kind of exploitation of Utopian values, especially in
infrastructure-level software. (I'd love to get Stallman's opinion.)

One way to clarify someone's position on their private conception of "open" is to ask
how they feel about limits to the exportation of encryption software.
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/08/us-export-controls-and-published-encryption-source-code-explained>

Another tack is to ask how they feel about fake news, trust in institutions,
free speech, platforming, etc.

IDK. The AI Alliance smells, to me, kinda like more TESCREAL [1], ripe for exploitation
and *-washing [2] by the privileged. If a tech is open and stays open, it'll most likely
do so because individuals commit to it, not because some meta-corp of mega-corps get
together as "allies". But I'm a bit cynical.

[1] Transhumanism, Extropianism, Singulatarianism, Cosmism, Rationalism,
Effective Altruism, Longtermism
[2] Green-washing (fossil fuel lobbyists at cop28), ethics-washing ("ai
safety"), dei-washing (sensitivity training), etc.