We need less *trust* and more *trustworthiness*. What I meant by "reality distortion
field" seems different from what you meant. I meant the effect of being ensconced in
privilege, having billions of dollars, swimming in an ocean of sycophants, etc. Musk's
reality is severely distorted.

Of course, I think a part of the TESCREAL club's rhetoric is similar to revelatory religions like
Catholicism or Scientology ... or even occult societies and heavy psychedelics users, where
initiates have a distorted view but the masters who've "studied" for a long time have a
clearer understanding of reality. A wealthy man once told me, "Money is like air. It's
everywhere. The difference between you and I is that I know how to build engines that harvest and
concentrate it." He clearly felt like he had a better understanding of reality than me. The
rhetoric inverts.

I feel the same way about inter-species mind reading. When I see humans engineer their
local ecology (e.g. damming a river or introducing a biocontrol species), I don't see
humans understanding biology *better* than, say, the rats whose day to day lives might be
intensely impacted. I see the rats as having the clear view and the humans as having the
"distorted" view. Musk, Thiel, and all the rest seem to think they're Hari
Seldons. But we rats understand that *luck* is the primordial force and those with it
(the lucky) are so badly skewed they can't see their hand in front of their face. Perhaps
the continually unlucky are also badly skewed? Only those of us who can narratively map
our wandering from luck to unluck and back are best situated to understand reality?

The same difference exists between, say, a front-end developer and a "close to the
metal" embedded systems developer. The former is closer to ideal computation,
computronium, as it were. The latter is closer to the actual world, where the rubber
meets the road. Which of the two has the more distorted field? Or perhaps only full stack
(writ large) developers experience the least distortion?

Arcing back to conceptions of openness. Here are some indices that seem more
trustworthy than whatever field being whipped up by the byzantine AI Alliance:

https://opening-up-chatgpt.github.io/
https://hai.stanford.edu/news/introducing-foundation-model-transparency-index