On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:02:37PM +1100, Scott Smedley wrote:
> I just committed a whole bunch of (mostly) XML source files to CVS.
> These new files are in the 'doc' subdirectory & are configure to output
> an fvwm.1 man page & a plethora of HTML files - all from the same (XML)
> source.
>
> If you do not want to produce this documentation please use:
>
> ./configure --disable-htmldoc

As the process take four times longer than building the
executables, may I suggest that

 a) the html pages are not built unless you specifically ask for
    them,

and

 b) the new man page stuff is disabled by default.

> Once it is built, you should be able to point your browser to:
>
> file:///usr/local/share/doc/fvwm/index.html
>
> (Change "/usr/local" if you use ./configure --prefix="...".)
>
> For developers, the XML source files supersede the old fvwm man page.
> Please make any documentation changes here & NOT in the fvwm/fvwm.1.in
> file.

Well, I'd be willing to try that, but I am *not* going to search
through *400* files for the contents I want to edit (and all cross
references).  There *must* be a way to have just one file per man
page.

> If you are editing the documentation for an FVWM command, you will
> find an XML file relating to that command in the doc/command/ directory.
> Any other documentation changes (eg. general description) will most
> likely need to be made in the doc/fvwm directory.
>
> The XML syntax is intuitive - a cursory inspection of a few XML
> files should suffice to allow even a novice user to make their changes.
> However, there are a few idiosyncrasies worth pointing out:
>
> * Use <fvwmref cmd="Command"> when referring to an FVWM command. eg:
>
>   <fvwmref cmd="Style"/>
>
>   This will create a link to the Style command (in HTML output).
>   Caveat: don't use <fvwmref> to reference commands that are actually
>   being described. ie. In the Style.xml file, you won't see any
>   <fvwmref>s to the Style command.
> * Use, <fvwmref cmd="Command" opt="Option"> when _referring_ to an FVWM
>   command option. eg:
>
>   <fvwmref cmd="Style" opt="Font>
>
>   This will create a link to the Font option of the Style command.
> * Use, <fvwmopt cmd="Command" opt="Option"> when _describing_ an
>   option to a command. eg:
>
>     <fvwmopt cmd="Style" opt="Font">
>   This will highlight the option name & allow the option to be
>   referenced elsewhere.
> * Use <htmlonly> when you only want the text to appear in HTML output.
> * Use <manonly> when you only want the text to appear in man-page output.

What about the other markup mentioned at the top of the man page?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [EMAIL PROTECTED]