On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 09:57:58AM +1100, Scott Smedley wrote:
> Hi Dominik,
>
> > > If you do not want to produce this documentation please use:
> > >
> > > ./configure --disable-htmldoc
> >
> > As the process take four times longer than building the
> > executables, may I suggest that
> >
> >  a) the html pages are not built unless you specifically ask for
> >     them,
>
> Ok. I will change this soon.
>
> >  b) the new man page stuff is disabled by default.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

There are still the normal man pages which are fine.  The current
state of the XML documentation prevents me from writing any
documentation.  As almost everything I do has to be documented, it
prevents me to do almost anything.

> > > For developers, the XML source files supersede the old fvwm man page.
> > > Please make any documentation changes here & NOT in the fvwm/fvwm.1.in
> > > file.
> >
> > Well, I'd be willing to try that, but I am *not* going to search
> > through *400* files for the contents I want to edit (and all cross
> > references).  There *must* be a way to have just one file per man
> > page.
>
> I'd like to be able to accomodate, but by having everything in one file
> we'd lose the ability to have separate HTML pages for each command.

> IMO, that's probably the most useful feature. See:
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~scott.fvwm/allCommands.html

> It's natural to split up the documentation into smaller files. As an
> analogy, consider the FVWM source code - we don't have a single fvwm.c
> source file to make "searching" easier, but lots of separate source files
> with grouped functionality.

We're not talking about source but documentation.  In my eyes
having split pages is the one "feature" in html docs that makes it
completely unusable:  you can not browse or search it in a
sensible way.  And it's hell to read.  A single page with intra-
document links is much more usable.

In any case, we're talking about Unix, not windoze.  It can't be
*this* hard to make a script that extracts the individual files
with the command documentation from one big master source file to
generate the html docs.

> I agree though, splitting up the documentation into multiple files has
> made "searching" a little harder. But, as Dan indicates, a few simple
> 'grep' commands should suffice.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --