On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Julien Guertault wrote:

> Why would not a book presenting a few of the main features of fvwm be
> worth it?

It depends what you mean by "book". If you mean a printed thing which has
to be bought in a bookshop paying money, I doubt me (or my organization)
will ever consider it worth the fuss buying it.

I'm not saying a reference printed book is a nasty thing, it is handy to
read on the sofa at home during a rainy weekend, and there are cases in
which the amount of material is simply too large for any other practical
form of documentation (I have read the Postscript Language Reference and
part of the X Window System reference in book form, although we did not
buy them explicitly, but received them bundled with the OS documentation).
But fvwm is not as big as THOSE ...

If by "book" you mean a (free) downloadable PDF document, fine, one can
consult it online or print it to read it on the tram. Its usefulness
mostly depends on how well written it is ! But, assuming it is well
written, why not provide it as a set of HTML pages packed with cross
reference links ?

[configuring fvwm from an empty config file]
> me and my needs.  And I am sorry but this is not a piece of cake. When

I agree it is "not a piece of cake". As it is not to start writing one's
.procmailrc, or to tweak a sendmail.cf (maybe a Digital Equipment provided
one using a SunOS reference manual ... been there done that ... and I'm
just a poor astrophycist, not a sysman).

> But anyway, I just meant man pages are not the ultimate documentation
> media.

Definitely they are not the ultimate documentation LAYOUT, as they are
essentially FLAT, irrespective of how one divides them in subsections.

But an HTML document arranged in hierarchical manner (maybe more than one,
by topic, by increasing complication, by examples) and providing lots of
cross reference links is a better reference.

Is that a "book" ? If yes, it can be indeed very useful.