-- prodigitalson <ant.cunning...@gmail.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 29 October 2009, 12:04 PM -0700):
> I dont know if its even possible but id really like to see some general
> abstraction for ORM integration that these would be based on... Just to make
> it easier to integrate Propel for instance.
>
> Granted this would have to be pretty abstract given vendor differences - or
> even differences in major versions of the same software. Im just thinking
> that if i want to integrate ORM XYZ, i should general
> interfaces/abstractions for Model Builders, Form Builders, Loggers and what
> not to program to make the process just a little less daunting.

While some of this may be abstractable, the fact is that even between
Doctrine and Doctrine 2 the structure of the project changed fairly
significantly. We may be able to leverage some of the work/ideas from
Symfony (which supports both), but even there, I seem to recall that the
configuration is quite different between the projects.

Additionally, for things such as model/form builders, these would be
handled by the ORM layer; at most, we might have a Zend_Tool provider
that proxies to the Doctrine CLI tooling (which can be invoked via class
methods). Loggers, etc., are typically project specific -- but one of
the points where we would like more direct integration.

If you or others want to see additional ORM solutions, write up
proposals soon, so we can start determining if there are enough
commonalities to warrant an abstraction layer within ZF.