Jerome Quelin wrote:
> I think the arbiter program could (should?) be a module, but not
> the "client"  part.

Agreed. We should make things as easy as possible for the "customer".
No modules to install. Just download and run the test program.
I also feel it essential to support at least Windows (both NT
and 95/98) and Unix clients.

Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
> Perhaps the participants' program would write out the entries
> in the correct format, to be sent to the arbiter.

I think a client program to email the entry to the referee in
a standard format (similar to the CPAN testers script at:
http://testers.cpan.org/cpantest
to send in a test result) may prove handy but perhaps best as
an optional separate program. The goal is to make it as easy
as possible to compete. I guess some sort of Web submission
form is another optional extra here.

Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
> I think your script is a good start, and I think I will use it
> or something like it at the next match.

I have also played a little with Jerome's script; it looks like a
good start. It seemed to work nicely on Linux but not on Windows
(not that I tried very hard). It took me a while to get it going,
because I had to first install the following CPAN modules:
  MailTools (Mail::Util)
  Date::Manip
  DB_File
OK, I should have had these installed already (too much time playing
golf;-). MailTools seems essential. But do we really need DB_File?
Maybe a simple text file database is sufficient?

An important check for me was to verify that the score claimed by
the player matched the score reported when I ran their entry against
the test program. Forgive me if I missed it, but I did not notice
a such a check in Jerome's script.

/-\ndrew