En réponse à Jeff Bisbee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> What about a web solution.  Maybe use golf.perl.org.  All your really need
> is a text field that will accept the golf snippet.  What is also cool is
> that if use something like use.perl.org, where thre are logins so we can
> have a clear winner and also capture what time they submitted their
> answer.  This will also capture all the contents and the history of
> every submission so that newcomers can learn from past contests and
> submit better answers in the future.
>
>[snip]
>
> There is probably some other pieces here that I'm missing so anyone feel
> free to jump in and make suggestions or improvements, but I really think
> this is the right track to make Perl golf for the masses :)

There is the security problem of allowing almost anyone to run untrusted
perl code on a web server...

 * * *

Please note that a small team of already 6 persons (Dave Hoover, Steffen
Muller, Jonathan E. Paton, Jerome Quelin Eugene van der Pijll, me and maybe
Andrew Savige) are working to design a module named Games::Golf.

This module's goal is to provide a scoring and testing framework, along
with scripts for player and arbiter, so as to minimize the burden of
writing tests for golf holes, and running them (and also submitting entries,
producing leaderboards, and other details).

Nothing is done yet, but things are going very fast, if you consider we
started yesterday... :-)
I suppose it'll be ready for Eugene's Golf session. That should be our
deadline.

We could add a method to output leaderboard and history web pages, for
post-mortem investigation. :-)

--
 Philippe BRUHAT - BooK

 When you run from your problem, you make it that much harder for good
 fortune to catch you, as well.     (Moral from Groo The Wanderer #14 (Epic))