The messages themselves are rarely too long, but they become too long when
people forget to remove the old messages that are tacked on to the end.  When
you read someone's post, press reply, and type in your own message, a copy of
the original person's message is now at the bottom of your own along with any
extra messages that they had on the end of theirs.  This can quickly double or
triple the length of the message.  Removing these unwanted copies of old
message are the corrections I was referring to.