[re-adding geeqie-devel]

So, it looks like this is closer to working than I initially suspected.
  From your darktable sample xmp, I see:
    <dc:subject>
     <rdf:Seq>
      <rdf:li>darktable|format|cr2</rdf:li>
      <rdf:li>Soglio</rdf:li>
      <rdf:li>Switzerland</rdf:li>
     </rdf:Seq>
    </dc:subject>

 From a random geeqie xmp of mine, I see:
    <dc:subject>
     <rdf:Bag>
      <rdf:li>decent</rdf:li>
      <rdf:li>art225</rdf:li>
      <rdf:li>top20</rdf:li>
      <rdf:li>top10</rdf:li>
     </rdf:Bag>
    </dc:subject>

So both are using the dublin core standard for storing tags.  If you
manually edit <rdf:Seq> to <rdf:Bag>, does that help things out?

The other thing: if you go to Edit->Preferences->Metadata and twiddle
with the checkboxes in the "Metadata writing process" section, does that
help?  It's possible that geeqie isn't finding the XMP at all, and is
only displaying the EXIF data that's embedded in the PNG itself.

--xsdg