Hi,

Am Do den 10. Mär 2016 um 14:45 schrieb Lars Ellenberg:
> > > 3. You lack a place where users can interact without having to sell a
> > > kidney (mailing lists...).
> >
> > Well, here I don't agree. What is so bad with registering on a mailing
> > list? Even without registering, you can mail to it although, from the
> > fact that it is on sourceforge, nobody is seing that mails. But the
> > concept of a mailing list allows that.
>
> I stongly prefer mailinglist to "forums" or other web crap.
> Anything that makes me use the mouse gets annoyance points ;-)

I personal feel the same. The mouse is an evil device. :-D

[Github]
> > - - It does not play well with a own domain
>
> ... but, github pages ...
> https://help.github.com/articles/custom-domain-redirects-for-github-pages-sites/

That I didn't know. Does it work with SSL too? (Not that geeqie.org is
SSL currently but when TLSA comes more used I have plans to put https
in use.)

> > - - It needs you to switch on javascript, cookies, some cross-domain-stuff
> >   and more insecure technologies.
> > - - It needs a separate account (one more (Oh, I have one but don't like
> >   it))
>
> I still invited you into the just created Github "organisation"
> BestImageViewer, and you accepted ;-)

:-)

> I also invited zas.

That would be helpful. But I didn't hear from him since ages.

> Feel free to invite more devs,

Well, vlad... But he is also retired. And I even don't know if he have a
github account.

> > - - It is a pain in the ass to use. It takes me always ages to find a
> >   functionality like bugtracker or how to merge pull requests or even
> >   how to fork
>
> If you agree to use it,
> git clone git://github.com/BestImageViewer/geeqie
>
> push url is: g...@github.com:BestImageViewer/geeqie.git

Yea, I know that; after long time trying it out.

> Issue and pull request comments work good enough via email.  Both issues
> and pull requests can be dealt with via git command line as well.

I know that there _is_ a way for pull requests. (I don't know how
recently.) They are similar to gitorious but not identical and I think,
more hidden.

Another one is to create forks or simple pull requests. I do not know if
that is possible at all with git command line on github.

For Issues I do not know even that it is possible.

Such Stuff is pretty good hidden away from the user on github. There is
no single documentation (that I know) for that stuff.

> but working with various projects I learned that you can perfectly use
> github without even interacting with its web frontend most of the time.

Yea. I did some with github too. But often I come to the end to send
patches by mail to that author. That is fare more easy.

> Though I still need some time to remember the cheat sheet ;)

Would be helpful.

> > I will not be a complete show stopper for Github. But currently I seem
> > to be the only active developer and I vote strongly against it.
> > And I know that past devs also did. We agreed to not go to github.
>
> Oh. In that case, apologies for jumping the gun there.
> If it is ok for you, I'd drive it as strict mirror repo for now.

No problem with that. Git allows to have a de central development model.
I just don't want to have unfree github as main source for geeqie.

> BTW, I did not realize the web page was already part of the geeqie repo.
> Even better.

Sure it is. Currently I do manually copy them over but this is just a
small step.

Regards
   Klaus
--