On 2016-05-05 12:39 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> For developer use, there's no need for tarballs or generated files;
> people can just git clone.

As I understand it, the problems with this position are:

1. There is no clear distinction between developers and non-developers.
   There are many ppl including me who are mostly end users but
   contribute the occassional patch.

2. It is not just a matter of what is easy/natural for the person
   installing the package, but also how to make bug reports clearly and
   reliably include the source version that was used.  This will not
   happen without somehow patching the VC info into the binary.