Hi,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And that seems understandable, however IMHO the lazer beam focus we
> now have on the quarterly reports doesn't necessarily help get better
> or active oversight, in fact it makes it even easier for mentors to
> just pop up every few months and mention/sign a report and then
> disappear for the rest of the time.

Yep, I agree that can be a problem. I'm hoping to avoid that by
adopting a more two-way approach to podling reports. Instead of just
silently acknowledging and signing off on reports, I'd like to see
actual discussion and feedback on them. Many podlings and mentors
already do that on their own dev@ lists (which I hope the sign-offs
reflect at least to some degree), but as the reviews over the past few
months have shown there's also value in an extra round of reviewing
and challenging the reports on general@ before we forward them to the
ASF board.

Ultimately my goal in putting more emphasis on report reviews is to
instill a greater sense of introspection on the podlings. I.e. that
these reports aren't just a formality, but rather a chance to reflect
on and discuss about project and community status.

> Looking at how many poddlings struggle to get votes on releases maybe
> what we need to have is a bit of actively retiring mentors so we can get
> a clearer picture of who is really providing oversight on poddlings.

Right, the release review is clearly another area of persistent
trouble caused largely by insufficient mentor help and oversight.
There was a lot of discussion about this some while ago with some good
ideas being debated. Can we try to combine some of the better ideas to
form a rough consensus on how to go forward, taking into account not
only empowerment of the PPMCs but also the requirements of oversight
and adherence to ASF policies?

On a smaller and more immediate scale, would someone mind going over
the release votes over the past quarter or to see which podlings were
having trouble and for what reasons? I believe data like that would be
quite helpful in identifying both podlings that need more mentoring
and possible larger issues in our processes and related documentation.

BR,

Jukka Zitting