Sam Ruby [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

        I very much like xml-commons-which.

        http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-commons/java/src/org/apache/env/

It seems very useful, and I've only view it briefly [so I am no expert] but
wouldn't it be better if classes/packages known or unknown to this tool
would just return some "standard" Version object? This tool seems to use
adhoc per component version mechanisms, or infers version information based
upon subtleties known of the per component implementation/interface. It
doesn't seem like this would scale well.

For example, if a convention could be created [like XXXBeanInfo, I guess]
where a class {package}Version.class [e.g. org.apache.axis.Version] were
expected to exist for each Package, and this were a bean that returned
name/major/minor/dependencies [and/or the Java Package attributes], could
not an amazing Which tool be written?

regards,

Adam