So where does that leave us?

Do you (Pete) believe that the work you're going to put into Ant2 and java versioning
can address this satisfactorily in a generic way?
What participation would it require from sub-projects wanting to adopt it?

Should, perhaps, Jakarta be using our hard fought success with JSPA to propose a JSR
defining an installation API that would address dependancy management in a cohesive
way?

It seems to me that dependancy handling in Java as a whole, not just here, has been
left to fate rather than engineering, I have installed, on this machine, JDK 1.3 and
1.4 from Sun other developers will also have IBM's JVM installed as well, yet when I
install JBuilder it installs its own JDK as well, and there are other products that do
likewise. To me this is an indication that the extent of dependancy management
problems is so great that sellers of commercial products cannot even reliably assume
compatibility between minor versions of the JDK, let alone third party components. I
would have thought that ought to concern anyone who's livelihood depends upon Java.
Its all very well Java being "platform independant" but it really ought to provide a
framework for dependacy management too, after all it is in effect an operating system
(albeit more of an emulator) and library management should be a service provided by
the os (IMO), and as producers of a range of interdependant products Jakarta is in
dire need of this (again IMHO).

d.