Danny Angus wrote:
> Should, perhaps, Jakarta be using our hard fought success with JSPA to propose a JSR
>defining an installation API that would address dependancy management in a cohesive
>way?
>
> It seems to me that dependancy handling in Java as a whole, not just here, has been
>left to fate rather than engineering, I have installed, on this machine, JDK 1.3 and
>1.4 from Sun other developers will also have IBM's JVM installed as well, yet when I
>install JBuilder it installs its own JDK as well, and there are other products that
>do likewise. To me this is an indication that the extent of dependancy management
>problems is so great that sellers of commercial products cannot even reliably assume
>compatibility between minor versions of the JDK, let alone third party components. I
>would have thought that ought to concern anyone who's livelihood depends upon Java.
> Its all very well Java being "platform independant" but it really ought to provide a
>framework for dependacy management too, after all it is in effect an operating system
>(albeit more of an emulator) and library management should be a service provided by
>the os (IMO), and as producers of a range of interdependant products Jakarta is in
>dire need of this (again IMHO).

This is so true that Java needs a real dependency management standard.
While I agree that work on a JSR is maybe the way to go on a long run, I
think the actual implementation should start regardless of JSR existence.

There was a discussion about an enterprise distribution of jakarta and
other open-source java technologies some time back on this list that
resulted in starting "oed" project on SourceForge [which is pretty much
dead at the moment :-( ]. Doing some preliminary research in this
direction led me to the same conclusion - Java is an "OS-like" creature
and therefore needs a package manager (registry, whatever).

I was thinking more along the lines of an RPM-like system. It can still
be ant-driven, but main effort should be put into dependency tracking
framework. As far as JAR versioning goes,
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html can
be used, but there is much more. For instance you may want to install
documentation or sample applications, etc. together with a package. So
just dropping right version of  .jar in .../lib/ext may not solve all
the problems. I was thinking about packaging similar to what folks at
http://www.jpackage.org/ do, but making it in Java. This is a fairly big
effort, but AFAIK this is the biggest piece currently missing from the
"Java puzzle".