On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:08, Danny Angus wrote:
> This raises a couple of issues though..
>
> a) it implies that there be an ant based installer for each application
> participating in the scheme

Maybe not an ant based installer. However what it does need is something that
is equivelent to unixes ld.so. For those who are not aware ld.so is basically
the linker for unix apps and it maintaines a cache of library data as stored
in well known places (like /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, /opt/lib etc).

I have already written most of this about a year ago and plan to revive it
for work on Ant2.

> b) it also implies that dependacy information and version compatibilities
> can be written and read in a useful way

There is a java standard for this namely

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.

for a simple explanation see dependencies on

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/myrmidon/librarys.html

> I think I'm going down the road of a kind of binary GUMP, where
> dependancies are satisfied not by building from cvs, but by downloading
> binaries.

cjan and jjar in commons started out trying to do that but I am not sure
where they got. I believe they opted not to use the java standard versioning
/ optional package /extension scheme which makes them even less likely to be
adopted unless there is much more widespread noise of them :)

--
Cheers,

Pete