On Dec 29, 2009, at 2:49 AM, patrick o'leary wrote:
> Doc's about it exist on gissearch.com
> dzone are doing articles on it
> http://java.dzone.com/articles/spatial-search-hibernate?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+javalobby%2Ffrontpage+%28Javalobby+%2F+Java+Zone%29
>
> Locallucene in google has over 8,000 results
> http://www.google.com/search?q=locallucene
>
> Localsolr has over 4,000 results
> http://www.google.com/search?q=localsolr

Like I said earlier, they are all self referential.  Find me a link that
mentions Cartesian Tier that isn't also talking about Local Lucene/Solr.  That,
of course, is valuable in that some people have already been trained on it.
However, now that spatial is a part of Lucene/Solr, I think it's valuable to
make sure we are using the terminology that most people are familiar with, not
just those who have used LocalLucene/Solr.

> I've seen and help with installations all over the place, heck even codehaus
> use it, as do folks on github with geonames db.
> I see named it mathematically & scientifically correct, and  gaining enough
> traction and popularity to start becoming part of the standard, not just
> duplicating one.

But aren't they calling it that b/c LocalLucene called it that?  Not saying
that makes it wrong, I just want to call it what the majority of other people
call it so that we can take advantage of and attract more people to contribute
and maintain it.  Perhaps there is no standard, which makes it moot, but the
fact that I've seen a number of people call it tiles or grids at much larger
sites than Lucene makes me think those are better names, not too mention nearly
everyone else on this thread.

> I can't honestly see how a refactoring is bringing anything positive to
> this, when there isn't a good standard out there yet.

It's not about a standard, b/c as you say it doesn't exist.  It's about what
most people are going to be familiar with.

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <
> chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> Interesting. It seems like there is a precedent already in the Local Lucene
>> and Local SOLR packages that define "CartesianTier" as lingua franca.
>>
>> Like I said in an earlier email it depends on who you talk to regarding the
>> preference of what to call these Tiles/Grids/Tiers, etc., and that seems to
>> be further evidenced by your research.
>>
>> I for one donĀ¹t really have a preference but precedent matters to me and if
>> Tiers have been used to date then there should be strong consideration to
>> use that nomenclature and +1 from me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>
>> On 12/28/09 9:25 PM, "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So trying no to drag this out, the most frequent generic term used in GIS
>>> software is SRID
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRID
>>>
>>> Again this provides just a basic nomenclature for the high level element,
>>> somewhat the blackbird of objects rather than the defining the magpie
>> (sorry
>>> for the CS 101 reference)
>>>
>>> But it should show that every implementation is unique in some format.
>>> Perhaps as unique as CartesianTier's ( sorry Ted ! )

>> and

>> spatial

>> aren't
>> with

>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>> Senior Computer Scientist
>> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
>> Email: chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov
>> WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/<http://sunset.usc.edu/%7Emattmann/>
>> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search