> You probably mean that to be derogatory, but it's related and not in a bad
> way.  This is about effective communication, which marketing people
> understand.

Hence the term spatial-luence, or as it was originally called locallucene-
We are discussing an internal component, where folks want to change the name
of the methodology of how it works.

To me it's like renaming the crank shaft in a car to the Spinning Wheel
Turner.

If "CartesianTier" more accurately describes the class than alternatives
> such
> as CartesianGrid or CartesianTile, please make that case.

CartesianTier's adequately describes what the design does- Layer one
cartesian coordinate system on top of another....

It's not a grid system, grids describe the bounding lines - where a point is
x,y : x1,y1, the intersection of 2 grid lines.
Cartesian Tiles ? again a web mapping concept ... that's dropping the
concept of tiers.
A single cartesian tier on it's own is of limited use.

 As a consumer of your API, I will thank you for working hard at the design
> stage to save me time and effort down the road.

I appreciate your thanks and ask for your patience in following the train of
thought .
What effort do you have down the road, and how does the name of it create
problems for you?

If I were calling this PatrickGeoSolutions or MagicalGeoStuff then I would
understand the problem,
What I'm doing is calling it by what it's doing generating a Cartesian
Tiered system
could I put the word coordinate in there? Sure why not,
CartesianCoordinateTiers ?

But is that really worth breaking all the existing references to this? What
value is that for the users?