I'd like to note that that really isn't the password I'm setting... I
changed that so it wouldn't be displayed here.

yeah I figgure the one line should handle both but it doesn't work...
I still have permission errors. should I maybe use the fsscript to
make the user instead of letting catalyst do it.

On 9/7/06, Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Caleb Cushing wrote:
> here is mys script.
>
> chown -R bgkiosk:users /home/bgkiosk/
> chown -R bgkiosk:users /home/bgkiosk/.*

'chown -R bgkiosk:users /home/bgkiosk' can replace those 2 lines

> echo "root:*" | chpasswd

This is setting the root password to "*", which is probably not what you
intended to do. Also, you'll want to use single quotes in the echo when passing
stuff to chpasswd to avoid the shell interpolating stuff in the string. In the
above command, the root password is probably actually being set to a list of all
the files in whatever directory you're in :P Use the -e option to chpasswd to
have it put the password into /etc/shadow as-is. You could also use 'passwd -l
root' to lock the account.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project