On Friday, 20. July 2007 23:48, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:54 +0200, Thomas Scharl wrote:
> > Anyways this is more of philosophical/social issue to discuss about
> > than a technical one.
>
> One thing that I had been considering bringing up and getting help
> with is some scripts/whatever to get users to do things they might
> not know they can do during installation.  For example, let's say
> we've got a little script, called sub_to_gwn, which takes a single
> argument, an email address.  At the end of the Installer, we can ask
> "Would you like to subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter?" and
> subscribe people that say yes.  We could do the same thing for a
> stats client, or any other projects that we deemed would be useful.
> The idea here is to present some of these things that we would like
> the users to be doing to provide us feedback (and disseminate
> information) to the user when they're installing.  Of course, we'd
> also add the scripts into the
> documentation, so people can simply run them w/o the Installer, so
> we're not tying this stuff to Installer-only installs.
>
> Anyway, some things I think we could/should do are:
> - GWN
> - gentoo-announce
> - gentoo-stats (or whatever we have now, if anything)
>
> Anything else?

I don't know whether that is what you mean by "gentoo-stats", but other
distros have quite some interesting usage statistics by having their
users submit hardware profiles to a server. I like the idea and wanted
to have a look at Smolt [1]. The Fedora people would be interested in
providing the client for Gentoo and would extend the web interface to
enable better filtering of distros, too.

But right now that's just some random ideas until after my exams next
weeks :-)

Robert

[1] https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/smolt/ ,
    http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/stats