On Wednesday 19 August 2009, Duncan wrote:
> FWIW, It'd be useful to know about @system packages as well,
> particularly portage, I'd guess, and there's likely others.  AFAIK
> smolt depends on portage ATM, but the particular versions installed
> and percentage for each could be /very/ helpful as more people run
> smolt.

There's definately interesting numbers in the packages people have
installed that are not in the world file. Judging from the page
Sebastian prepared a table "Non-world-file packages", which can
list "other" ebuilds. The table cannot list all packages anyone has
installed, but maybe a selected number of ebuilds. Another interface
(query form, sql export, or regular custom reports) could then allow
maintainers to query for specific packages or combinations.

> And is there an anonymous ID number or other means taken to ensure
> that a user that reports daily is going to refresh his own stats, but
> not crowd out the guy reporting monthly or quarterly?

Yes, the client associates its submits with a uuid it stores locally,
and the server will update the client's profile (deleting the old
data).

> How often /should/ we update?
> Every time we sync and finish our routine updates?  Only once a
> quarter?

Fedora (where Smolt originated) recommends people to submit once a month
using a cron entry. But that was back when Smolt only supported
Hardware and OS statistics (that change less often). Maybe a weekly
schedule is more appropriate in Gentoo? I think the Fedora people will
kill us though for the increased server load as they run the official
receiving server (they currently have 100 000 people submitting each
month).

Robert