On 03/06/2010 04:24 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 08:06 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
>> On 5 March 2010 04:18, Graham Murray<gra...@gmurray.org.uk>  wrote:
>>> 3.  Include one or both of the packages in the stage tarball.
>> None of the packages involved (gtk+, cups and poppler) is in any
>> shape or form essential, so you will have a very hard time convincing
>> people that this is the best solution.
>
> I tend to agree, but do consider this:
>
> 1.  We wouldn't need to put all the packages in the dep list up to these
> packages in the tarball - you could just put one package in the tarball
> so that when emerge gets to this point it won't die.
>
> 2.  You don't need to put that package in @system, so the first time the
> user cleans out their install it will be removed.  For server users it
> will start out there but will eventually go away.
>
> It does increase the size of the tarball, which is of course
> undesirable.  We might also need to modify the build scripts since I'm
> guessing those scripts look at @system to figure out what belongs in the
> tarball and these packages don't need to be there.
>
> I do agree that it isn't really an ideal solution, and probably not the
> first thing we should try...

Another possible solution would be distribute binary packages to
users via PORTAGE_BINHOST. The user can simply set something like
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86";
in /etc/make.conf. Since DEPEND is ignored for binary packages, and
circular RDEPEND doesn't block installation, the circular
dependencies won't necessarily be an problem. The emerge --pretend
output shows that emerge will go ahead and install those packages
despite the circular RDEPEND:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary  N    ] net-print/cups-1.3.11-r2  USE="X acl avahi dbus
gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl php png ppds python samba slp ssl
tiff -kerberos -static -xinetd -zeroconf" LINGUAS="en -de -es -et
-fr -he -id -it -ja -pl -sv -zh_TW"  [0]

[binary  N    ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.6  USE="cups jpeg test tiff
xinerama (-aqua) -debug -doc -jpeg2k -vim-syntax"  [0]

[binary  N    ] dev-python/pygtk-2.16.0-r1  USE="doc examples test"
 [0]

[binary  N    ] gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.17  USE="bzip2 gtk python
-doc -gnome -thumbnail"  [0]

[binary  N    ] app-text/poppler-0.12.4  USE="abiword cairo jpeg
lcms png qt4 utils xpdf-headers -cjk -debug -doc -exceptions
-jpeg2k"  [0]
--
Thanks,
Zac