Hello guys,

as I'm sure some of you already experimented, the libpng upgrade didn't
exactly went smoothly on my chroots. Reason seems to be that libpng
usage is odd, it provides both libpng14.* and libpng.* files. Some
packages likes to use versioned libs while some other don't and it seems
to lead to giant mess in *.la files (for example).

My question are:
 * is there a draft news item as a simple revdep-rebuild or portage
preserved-libs feature doesn't cut it (for good reasons) that I could
test ?
 * what is the recommended way to link to libpng (versioned lib or not)
 * corollary to previous question, should we enforce link to versioned
lib only ?

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <e...@gentoo.org>
Gentoo