People seem to have started using blockers with package moves recently.
For example, if cat/a is being moved to cat/b, people have started
putting !cat/a as a dependency in cat/b. This is bad, for two reasons.

First, you shouldn't have to do that. If package moves aren't working,
we've got bigger problems, and throwing in some blockers won't help
there.

Second, when performing updates, Paludis also rewrites dependencies of
installed packages to use the names. This means that your block on
cat/a will be rewritten to a block on cat/b, which means the package
ends up blocking itself.

We've got two options here.

Option the first is that people stop writing stupid blockers on package
moves. Unless someone can come up with a convincing reason to keep them
there, this is the option that should be taken, and repoman should
enforce it.

Option the second is that I make Paludis stop rewriting blockers for
package moves. This is bad, because it means legitimate blockers which
should be honoured will end up disappearing.

Does anyone care to justify their "block the old name" habits?

--
Ciaran McCreesh