В Срд, 01/06/2011 в 19:37 -0400, Matt Turner пишет:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
> <jmbsvice...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > To be clear I support the goal to move our tree to git.
> > However, I'd like to point out that simply moving to git will leave us
> > in the same state.

++
ChangeLog files are text to be distributed to our users so they are
completely independent of vcs we use.

> > Assuming everyone agrees that git is far more useful
> > than cvs to check for changes in the tree, a simple but important issue
> > remains: the plan is to move the "development tree" to git, but to keep
> > the rsync mirrors for users. So the "move to git" doesn't fix the issue
> > for users or developers using an rsync tree.
>
> Temporarily or permanently?
>
> One of the huge benefits in using git would be really fast emerge
> --syncs. Not having some kind of system for migrating users to git
> seems like a lot of the benefits are lost.

Is git faster then rsync? I've never done any checks but it'll be
surprising if it will. Another useful feature of rsync is --exclude that
allows some categories to be excluded (for size and speed efficiency),
e.g. my servers don't need kde-* and games-*. Also taking into account
that we use portage tree on embedded devices where again both size and
speed really matters it looks like the answer on your question is
"permanently".

--
Peter.