On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 00:43 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> My understanding of networking is that you can't have two interfaces
> with ip addresses in the same subnet on the same computer. Correct?
>
> If that is the case, more than likely, the service you want to connect
> to will be on one subnet or the other, but not both.

Forget per-interface subnets, that's category 3 material. Category 1 is
about connections that should be available from any suitably configured
interface.

If I want to connect to pool.ntp.org to sync the system clock, or to my
company's vpn gateway for telecommuting, or to tor to encrypt my
traffic, or to a dynamic dns provider to update my machine's record,
I do not care in the least which interface I use. It could be either of
my machine's ethernet ports, could be the wireless adaptor, could be the
built-in wimax card. Could even be something dynamically configured - a
mobile phone tethered over a usb cable, for example. All I care about is
that at least one of my interfaces is providing some sort of working
network connection.

And that's exactly what "provide net" should imply.

-Alexandre.