On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:52:52 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 16/01/13 22:31, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> > interesting, did they report it? OTOH, they switched _after_ the
> > 2.0.5 release which happens to be the latest one. Since vlc is
> > probably the ffmpeg/libav interface the most popular in the world
> > (due to their windows and mac builds), I'd like to see an actual
> > release with it and see if there is any regression before claiming
> > they use libav.
>
> Reported, dismissed as bug on their side IIRC.

Hard to blame anyone without more info nor a description of the problem,
it can even be a too quick analysis before dismissing it.

> >> gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav works only with libav as per upstream desire
> >> (thus the rename)
> >
> > you mean use libav internally? because 'per upstream desire'
> > gst-ffmpeg or gst-libav always only worked with the internal libs :)
> > it also appears to build and work fine with ffmpeg-0.10
>
> To be more clear, latest gst-libav release does not build with latest
> ffmpeg release, same said for the gst-libav backport.

meaning bug #447838 ??? are you kidding ?

> > Speaking about bias, the maintainer happens to be part of libav core
> > developers and was even part of what is known as the 'ffmpeg
> > coup' :)
>
> Meanwhile I preferred let people pick their poison since it is easy to
> switch from one to another, in retrospect would had been better if I
> just removed ffmpeg from the tree from day 0.

Fortunately we're not debian and do not like when people impose their
choice on us.

> > None of what you cited is a problem for a downstream distribution,
> > except maybe vlc+rtmp which should be fixed regardless.
>
> > xbmc and mplayer did not build last time I tried. xbmc will be a
> > pain because it uses some libavfilter features not in libav.
>
> mplayer2 works decently here. I didn't try to look at xbmc yet.

mplayer2 is a good player but unfortunately for me it doesn't come with
a mencoder2. Being the one that did most of the porting to the recent
APIs of libav* for xbmc, I can assure you that any help is very welcome
to have a sane support for libav.

> > I don't want to verify this and will trust you there, but I still
> > don't consider 8 months to be a correct delay for handling a
> > published vulnerability, whatever its origin may be.
>
> Crashes are always bad, we fix a lot of them every day, we obviously
> introduce few new since we aren't perfect, calling all of them
> security problems is a tad extreme in my opinion.

It's probably the fault of the current trend of tagging most of the
crashes as sec. issues. The problem here is that a crash fix is almost
invisible, while a CVE gets very high visibility, and leaving time to
malicious people for reinventing an attack is bad.

> The problem with the "published vulnerabilities" had been usually us
> being prevented from accessing the example vectors, now the situation
> is way better.

This is news to me, but good it improved.

[...]

A.