On 4/6/13 11:08 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> 1. Patches have to be either in unified or context diff format. Unified
> diff is preferred.

Are there any other formats than unified and context diff? If not, it'd
be like another "for indoor or outdoor use only" or "home or office use"
- i.e. no need to explicitly list all possible options.

> 5. The patch name shall shortly summarize the changes done by it.

Common sense again. :) And I agree that patches should do that, the
question is just whether we put common sense into the policy.

> 6. Patch files shall start with a brief description of what the patch
> does. Developers are encouraged to use git-style tags like 'Fixes:' to
> point to the relevant bug URIs.

That could be helpful - could this be made more precise though? Is there
any existing convention (going beyond git style, but specifically
designed for distro or similar patches) we could follow?

> 7. Patch combining is discouraged. Developers shall prefer multiple
> patches following either the upstream commits or a logical commit
> sequence (if changes are not committed upstream).

Common sense as well.

> (2) is likely to be a bikeshed point here. Long story short, epatch has
> this fragile patchlevel guessing, users don't have it. If we keep our
> patches consistent to a single patchlevel, we gain:
>
> * ability for users to apply the patches without having them try all
>   patchlevels by hand.
>
> * clean error output if patch stops to apply for some reason.
>
> * no risk that patch will get applied to the wrong file if patch stops
>   to apply at expected patchlevel and starts to apply on another.

The above two points are convincing for me. However, I do acknowledge
that it some cases the guessing behavior can be useful for some people
(e.g. different layout of git repo vs. release tarballs).

How about having a one guessing and one non-guessing variant of epatch,
and encouraging the non-guessing one?

Paweł