сб, 30 мар. 2024 г. в 06:07, Eddie Chapman <ed...@ehuk.net>:

> Given what we've learnt in the last 24hrs about xz utilities, you could
> forgive a paranoid person for seriously considering getting rid entirely
> of them from their systems, especially since there are suitable
> alternatives available.  Some might say that's a bit extreme, xz-utils
> will get a thorough audit and it will all be fine. But when a malicious
> actor has been a key maintainer of something as complex as a decompression
> utility for years, I'm not sure I could ever trust that codebase again.
> Maybe a complete rewrite will emerge, but I'm personally unwilling to
> continue using xz utils in the meantime for uncompressing anything on my
> systems, even if it is done by an unprivileged process.
>
> I see that many system package ebuilds unconditionally expect
> app-arch/xz-utils to be installed simply to be able to decompress the
> source archive in SRC_URI. So simply specifying -lzma on your system isn't
> going to get rid of it.
>
> No one could have been expected to foresee what's happened with xz-utils,
> but now that it's here, perhaps Gentoo (and other projects that do) should
> consider not relying on a single decompression algorithm for source
> archives, even just as an insurance against some other yet unknown
> disaster with one algorithm or another in future?
>
> And yes I'm sure there will be individual packages that currently
> absolutely need xz-utils installed during the build process, and one or
> two that absolutely have to have it available at runtime, but those
> bridges can be crossed as and when.
>
> Eddie

There is no problem in the XZ/LZMA format itself as the reference
algorithm is not compromised. It's all about trust between developers
of application and developers of distribution. If you lost trust to
xz-utils's developers, you may use alternatives like app-arch/pxz or
app-arch/pixz. I don't see reasons why we should change format instead
of changing a tool.