On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:50:35 +0000
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Louis C. Candell) wrote:

> >    Having just fixed my box on the very first try, I think this
> > qualifies for a very tall, very cold beer! If you are ever in Los
> > Gatos, let me know and I'll share a couple with you. (Should you be
> > one who does not imbibe, let me know your choice and we'll go for a
> > couple of whatever you like!)
> >

> Heh, I don't drink alcoholic beverages :-B anymore, as I've gone 100%
> clean and sober (17 months wooohooo - crossing fingers), but I will
> take a very tall (or short), very hot woman (hell make it a few) if
> I'm ever in your area. :p

You go, Louis! I kicked the habits on 10 March 1986 (17 years?! jeez has
it been that long?) and haven't regretted it, considering how bad off I
was at the time... Though I sometimes wish I was one of those who could
just have a few <whatevers>, I can't, so more power to those who can.

For those who wonder what drug addiction is like, go watch
"Trainspotting":

---
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a
fucking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc
players, and electrical tin openers.Choose good health, low
cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage
repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends.Choose leisure
wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase
in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on
a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing
sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your
mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a
miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish,
fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your
future. Choose life.

But who would I want to do a thing like that?

I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons?
There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got heroin?
People think it's all about misery and desperation and death and all
that shite, which is not to be ignored, but what they forget is the
pleasure of it. Otherwise we wouldn't do it. After all, we're not
fucking stupid. At least, we're not that fucking stupid. Take the best
orgasm you ever had, multiply it by a thousand and you're still
nowhere near it. When you're on junk you have only one worry:
scoring. When you're off it you are suddenly obliged to worry about
all sorts of other shite. Got no money: can't get pished. Got money:
drinking too much. Can't get a bird: no chance of a ride. Got a bird:
too much hassle. You have to worry about bills, about food, about some
football team that never fucking wins, about human relationships and
all the things that really don't matter when you've got a sincere and
truthful junk habit.
Irvine Welsh