I'm getting a bit frustrated here.

Gentoo 1.4 and kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8

I've re-compiled the kernel with Video4Linux and I2C
support....including the Bt848 driver.

Kcontrol shows a multimedia capture device and Bt848 as character device
'81'.

There is "bttv" modeule anywhere.....probably becasue I compiled the
driver into the kernel....(right?)

I also installed Xawtv 3.86-r1 (emerge -k xawtv) and it sucked in all
the pre-reqs and was successful.

When i try to start xawtv, I get a segfault saying it failed trying to
convert some font construct.....

I've been fiddling with this for days. I'm alsmost to the point where
I'm goign to ditch all the portage items and install all the relevant
tar balls. I've done that before several times and had it working
quickly.

The things I'm struggling with are:

1. How do I verify I actually have the V4L / bttv / Bt848 support there
and properly installed?

If it is, I can't get any video software to talk to it.....it's card=48
(Cph3xx).

Red Hat does this out of the box.....I'm struggling with Gentoo.

For MythTV - the end goal of all this - emerge/portage was
*great*....but I can't get to the point where anything can see my TV
Card..... so it's sorta irrelevant. :-(

--
Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>