Am Sonntag, 09. November 2003 02:13 schrieb Steve Withers:
> I'm getting a bit frustrated here.
>
> Gentoo 1.4 and kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8
>
> I've re-compiled the kernel with Video4Linux and I2C
> support....including the Bt848 driver.
>
> Kcontrol shows a multimedia capture device and Bt848 as character
> device
 '81'.

> There is "bttv" modeule anywhere.....probably becasue I compiled the
> driver into the kernel....(right?)

What does "dmesg|grep bttv" say?

> I also installed Xawtv 3.86-r1 (emerge -k xawtv) and it sucked in all
> the pre-reqs and was successful.

-k? binary packages?

> When i try to start xawtv, I get a segfault saying it failed trying to

 convert some font construct.....

A segfault just segfaults, but doesn't say anything. Can you please copy/
paste the error message, maybe with -debug 2

> I've been fiddling with this for days. I'm alsmost to the point where
> I'm goign to ditch all the portage items and install all the relevant

 tar balls. I've done that before several times and had it working
> quickly.
>
> The things I'm struggling with are:
>
> 1. How do I verify I actually have the V4L / bttv / Bt848 support
> there
 and properly installed?

lsmod. I have

tuner                  13068  0
tvaudio                18892  0
msp3400                19556  0
bttv                  121708  0
video_buf              16132  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            8200  1 bttv
btcx_risc               3592  1 bttv

All the v4l stuff is compiled as modules

Have you changed the access rights of /dev/v4l/* ?

> For MythTV - the end goal of all this - emerge/portage was
> *great*....but I can't get to the point where anything can see my TV
> Card..... so it's sorta irrelevant. :-(

You mean portage?