On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 15:12, Florian Schneider wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 09. November 2003 02:13 schrieb Steve Withers:
> > I'm getting a bit frustrated here.
> >
> > Gentoo 1.4 and kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8
> >
> > I've re-compiled the kernel with Video4Linux and I2C
> > support....including the Bt848 driver.
> >
> > Kcontrol shows a multimedia capture device and Bt848 as character
> > device '81'.
> >
> > There is "bttv" modeule anywhere.....probably becasue I compiled the
> > driver into the kernel....(right?)
>
> What does "dmesg|grep bttv" say?

Nothing.

> > I also installed Xawtv 3.86-r1 (emerge -k xawtv) and it sucked in all
> > the pre-reqs and was successful.
>
> -k? binary packages?

Sorry.....forget "-k". :-)

emerge xawtv

> > When i try to start xawtv, I get a segfault saying it failed trying to
> >  convert some font construct.....
>
> A segfault just segfaults, but doesn't say anything. Can you please copy/
> paste the error message, maybe with -debug 2

Warning: Cannot convert string"-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*"
to type FontStruct
Segmentation  Fault

> > I've been fiddling with this for days. I'm alsmost to the point where
> > I'm goign to ditch all the portage items and install all the relevant
> >  tar balls. I've done that before several times and had it working
> > quickly.
> >
> > The things I'm struggling with are:
> >
> > 1. How do I verify I actually have the V4L / bttv / Bt848 support
> > there and properly installed?
>
> lsmod. I have
>
> tuner                  13068  0
> tvaudio                18892  0
> msp3400                19556  0
> bttv                  121708  0
> video_buf              16132  1 bttv
> i2c_algo_bit            8200  1 bttv
> btcx_risc               3592  1 bttv

I thought so.  I have none of those. Not a one. Mine are all sound
related with some network (nvnet) and PCI ones (cmpci)

> All the v4l stuff is compiled as modules

When i compiled the kernel, I said to make everything that could be part
of the kernel. I knew I wanted this stuff active and ready....unless
there was no * option and I had to settle for a module 'M'.

> Have you changed the access rights of /dev/v4l/* ?

No.

> > For MythTV - the end goal of all this - emerge/portage was
> > *great*....but I can't get to the point where anything can see my TV
> > Card..... so it's sorta irrelevant. :-(
>
> You mean portage?

Yes. It's great. :-)

But I'd like to get my TV card going, too.

I've done a genkernel --config a couple of times - trying different
options for V4L.....and found that the Bt848 driver was only offered if
I turned on certain things in the I2C set of options....Otherwise, the
Bt848 driver did not appear at all.

I've been using TV cards with Linux for 4 years - mainly with
RedHat...and never had this much trouble.

My problem is that Red Hat has shielded me from having to know some of
the details of Linux internals....so a move to Gentoo is a heady mix of
a LOT of RTFM....mixed with practical attempts to make things go -
otherwise the RTFM has nothing to 'ground' it in reality.....and I get
lost in the mass of detail with no reference points.

Right now I have cracked every nut without too much trouble EXCEPT
getting the system to see this Cph03x TV card......

I'll nhave another go and do a genkernel --config making all the v4l and
I2c stuff modules instead of part of the kernel.

--
Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>