On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 21:12 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> No, it's something more nefarious than that....
>
> 1) All machines have the same hosts file. None of the machines are using dhcp.
>
> 2) The FC2 client logs into both Gentoo and FC2 hosts fast
>
> 3) The Gentoo client logs into both Gentoo and FC2 hosts slow
>
> Seems (to me) like it's the Gentoo client. I don't know where to look
> for any special messages. I've looked in dmesg and /var/log/messages.
> I do not see any warnings or errors on either the client or the host.

Mark,

This smells like a name resolution timeout type of problem.  To debug
and make sure that it is or is not do the following:

1. ssh from gentoo client to server
2. execute 'who am i'
3. The last item will be the hostname that the server thinks you came
from.  Verify that it states what it should be.
4. Do a host <name> given by above.  Make sure that it returns the
correct IP address.
5. Do a host <IP address>.  Make sure that it returns the correct host
name.
6. Repeat for the other server
7. Repeat going from server to client

If any of the above, do not return the correct information, then what is
happening is that a name resolution call is failing and the delay is
being caused waiting for the timeout to occur. How to fix will depend
upon your DNS / hosts file setup.  So, if this is the cause and you
don't know how to fix it, ask another question with the details.

If all of the above work properly, then I'm stumped :)

Regards,
Paul