Mark Knecht wrote:

>2) The contents o the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.
>
>Where are these files? They do not seem to be present on my machine?
>Should they not be created by some part of the baseline system
>install?

The files hosts.allow and hosts.deny are the configuration files for TCP
wrappers/tcpd access control.  Anything that runs under tcpd (or is
built with +tcpd) will use these files to determine what machines can
(hosts.allow) or cannot (hosts.deny) access the server.

So if you USE +tcpd (usually a good idea!), you'll want to read "man
hosts.allow".

>*  sys-apps/xinetd

I don't know if inetd is required, but if so, this is the one you want
on the server.

-Richard