Here's my hosts.deny and allow set up per the How-To.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # cat hosts.allow
portmap: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
lockd: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
mountd: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
rquotad: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
statd: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # cat hosts.deny
portmap:ALL
lockd:ALL
mountd:ALL
rquotad:ALL
statd:ALL

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:

On 5/10/05, Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tuesday 10 May 2005 17:36, Mark Knecht wrote:
/MusicLib 192.168.1.55(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
192.168.1.29(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
192.168.1.51(ro,sync,no_root_squash)

The line commented out above was all that was required to allow
MusicLib to be mounted when Dragonfly was running FC2. That
hasn't worked under Gentoo, nor has the currently more
complicated line shown above.

Don't know if this will help Mark, but I've been successfully sharing files between three Gentoo machines with NFS for some time. Based on my /etc/exports, the above lines would be:

/MusicLib 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(sync,insecure,no_root_squash,ro)

Peter, I'll give this version a try. I haven't used the insecure option yet. That one is new.

(10 minutes later...) Nope - no luck. From the server side:

dragonfly ~ # exportfs -ra
dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/nfs restart
* Stopping NFS mountd ...
                    [ ok ] * Stopping NFS daemon ...
                                               [ ok ] * Stopping NFS
statd ...
    [ ok ] * Starting NFS statd ...
                               [ ok ] * Exporting NFS directories ...
                                                          [ ok ] *
Starting NFS daemon ...
                 [ ok ] * Starting NFS mountd ...
                                            [ ok ]dragonfly ~ # cat
/etc/exports
# /etc/exports: NFS file systems being exported.  See exports(5).
/MusicLib       192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(sync,insecure,no_root_squash,ro)
dragonfly ~ # exportfs
/MusicLib       192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
dragonfly ~ #

So the server says it's exported. However on the Gentoo laptop I get
this when I try to mount it:

flash ~ $ mount MusicLib
mount: dragonfly:/MusicLib failed, reason given by server: No such
file or directory
flash ~ $

  If you have a second could you reply back with what services you
are running on the server when you do this? The ones below I've been
messing with but I no longer am really sure which are required on a
Gentoo server. I'm not currently running nfsmount or xinetd although I
have tried them. (I think...)

netmount (default)
nfs (default)
nfsmount (not started)
portmap (default)
xinetd (not started)

  If there is some other service or a specific config file you think
I should check on please let me know. I'm completely puzzled here. The
machine serves as a MythTV backend server as well as a day to day
desktop for my wife. It's a great machine in every other respect. I
just cannot figure this one out.

Thanks, Mark

--

Brett I. Holcomb