Hi,
   I'm going to recap and hopefully focus this discussion based on
current results. Thanks to Richard, Walter, Ralph and Brett for your
help so far.

I'm working from these two documents:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_NFS
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/server.html

There are 4 machines on our home network that are involved in this problem:

Dragonfly - Gentoo music server
Flash - Gentoo workstation
Godzilla - FC2 workstation
Christmas - FC2 workstation

Dragonfly used to be FC2. The /MusicLib directory could be mounted on
all the other machines. Since converting Dragonfly to Gentoo we have
not been able to mount it.

As of this morning the setup on Dragonfly looks like this:

# /etc/exports: NFS file systems being exported.  See exports(5).
#/MusicLib       *(ro)

/MusicLib       192.168.1.55(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
192.168.1.29(ro,sync,no_root_squash)
192.168.1.51(ro,sync,no_root_squash)

The line commented out above was all that was required to allow
MusicLib to be mounted when Dragonfly was running FC2. That hasn't
worked under Gentoo, nor has the currently more complicated line shown
above.

Currently Dragonfly says it's exporting:

dragonfly ~ # exportfs
/MusicLib       Dragonfly
/MusicLib       Flash
/MusicLib       Godzilla
dragonfly ~ #

Results when trying to mount from Flash (Gentoo):

fstab has:

dragonfly:/MusicLib     /home/mark/MusicLib  nfs     noauto,user,ro,_netdev 0 0

flash ~ $ mount MusicLib/
mount: dragonfly:/MusicLib failed, reason given by server: No such
file or directory
flash ~ $

Results when trying to mount from Godzilla (FC2):

fstab has:

dragonfly:/MusicLib     /mnt/MusicLib           nfs
noauto,user,ro,_netdev,proto=udp        0 0

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mark]$ mount /mnt/MusicLib/
mount to NFS server 'dragonfly' failed: server is down.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mark]$

Results when trying to mount /MusicLib on Dragonfly itself is
identical to Flash. Both are Gentoo:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ mount NFStest/
mount: dragonfly:/MusicLib failed, reason given by server: No such
file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

So the Gentoo machines are consistent. As an NFS client they both say
MusicLib is not exported, but according to exportfs on Dragonfly it
is.

The FC2 machines says that the server is down. I've tried with both
the proto=udp in and out.

I hope this focuses the problem a bit better.

Thanks in advance,
Mark