On 2010-11-09, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't mind system administration but I don't want to be a programmer
>> any more. ??I'd like to hire programmers to work in the manner
>> described above. ??They would each work on modules and not know about
>> the system as a whole. ??How can something like this be implemented?
>
> Get ready to pay a lot more for the documentation and testing portions
> of your costs.

A lot more.

> If you write a clear spec

Anybody who thinks they can write a clear spec is deluded.

I've seen a _one_page_spec_ where the requirement was completely
re-stated three different ways (with examples!) -- and the programmers
in eastern Europe still mis-understood it.  Even after several days of
e-mails back and forth where the specification was re-explained in
several more ways, they still didn't understand.  After about a week
of daily e-mails back and forth, the light finally came on.

The implementation of that spec (adding a command to a protocol), took
15 lines on code on my end, and there's no way it could have taken any
more than that on the other end -- except they completely
misunderstood the requirement, and they simply couldn't understand
how what we were telling them was different than what they did.

--
Grant