Alan McKinnon wrote:
Then the reader itself is probably horribly broken. Or has been built to
comply to "whatever broken Windows is doing today"

My USD card reader JustWorks(tm) everywhere with everything. And they are dirt
cheap, about the price of the smallest SD card I can buy.

Time for a new reader perhaps?

I have a card reader and it works with a lot of cards. So far it has worked fine. I did have a pin to bend once but most likely my fault. It has Targus wrote on it. I assume that is the brand. I think it was about $10 or $15 or so. It works fine with Linux so far and I think I used it once on my brothers windoze rig.

It does sound like there is something fishy about your card tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)