On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 04:48:40 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Helmut Jarausch
>> <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.
>> >
>> > According to fdisk there is one partition on it
>> > /dev/sde1              38     7839719     3919841    b  W95 FAT32
>> >
>> > which I haven't changed for a long time.
>> >
>> > Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
>> > /dev/sde  but not /dev/sde1  (and there is no file /dev/sde1)
>> >
>> > After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
>> > else, this device shows up.
>> >
>> > Has anybody an idea what's going on here?
>>
>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table
>> when
>> first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
>> the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
>> after that. You can try it, maybe it'll work for you, too.
>
> Thanks Paul and all other who tried to help.
> Sorry for my late reply, I have been too busy.
>
> My situation seems special.
>
> - the card reader is 2 years old (builtin)
> - the stick is about 1 year old
>
> 2 of my 3 USB stick work just fine
>
> up to kernel 2.6.36-? the stick in question
> has worked definitely.
> Probably since kernel 2.6.37 this one shows the mentioned problems.
>
> Paul's advice above works just fine!
> So, I think it's a timing problem as Paul has suggested in a later
> mail. Where can I set the delay_use option of usb-storage to a higher
> value?

I think you must first ensure usb-storage is built as a module, then
create a file /etc/modprobe.d/usb_storage with these contents:

options usb_storage delay_use=5

That would set the delay to 5 seconds. And you may need to run
update-modules after changing that file.

I haven't tried it yet and that's based on my memory as I'm using a
Windows computer at the moment... Good luck!