On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 08:08 on Thursday 03 February 2011, Paul
> Hartman did opine thusly:

>> > Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
>> > don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.
>> >
>> > What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository
>> > to isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who
>> > submitted the original bad patch to Linus.
>> >
>> > If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere.  Yet, it gets
>> > kernel bugs fixed.  (Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo ;)
>>
>> I meant that I've tried it for a few kernel versions (it's not a new
>> card reader, it's a few years old). It has never worked properly in
>> Linux since I've owned it.
>
> Then the reader itself is probably horribly broken. Or has been built to
> comply to "whatever broken Windows is doing today"
>
> My USD card reader JustWorks(tm) everywhere with everything. And they are dirt
> cheap, about the price of the smallest SD card I can buy.
>
> Time for a new reader perhaps?

Of course, I have others. I was just reporting to Helmut what
workaround I've used in case his has a similar problem.

The misbehaving one is extremely fast when it works, compared to the
others I've tried. It uses the Silicon Motion SM331 chipset. It's a
generic no-name reader. I've seen reports that newer packages of the
same reader now use the SM334 chipset instead, which I imagine fixes
whatever problems may have been present in the older revision.

I'm generally more interested in learning why things are broken than
using things that are not. :)

I didn't mean to derail the original thread. Sorry about that!