On 02/02/2011 04:48:40 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Helmut Jarausch
> <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since a few weeks I have a strange effect with my USB stick.
> >
> > According to fdisk there is one partition on it
> > /dev/sde1              38     7839719     3919841    b  W95 FAT32
> >
> > which I haven't changed for a long time.
> >
> > Whenever I insert this stick, the kernel log shows
> > /dev/sde  but not /dev/sde1  (and there is no file /dev/sde1)
> >
> > After Invoking fdisk /dev/sde with a simple 'p' command but nothing
> > else, this device shows up.
> >
> > Has anybody an idea what's going on here?
>
> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table
> when
> first inserted into the PC. But, if I issue "hdparm -z /dev/sdg" then
> the kernel re-reads the partition table and everything works fine
> after that. You can try it, maybe it'll work for you, too.

Thanks Paul and all other who tried to help.
Sorry for my late reply, I have been too busy.

My situation seems special.

- the card reader is 2 years old (builtin)
- the stick is about 1 year old

2 of my 3 USB stick work just fine

up to kernel 2.6.36-? the stick in question
has worked definitely.
Probably since kernel 2.6.37 this one shows the mentioned problems.

Paul's advice above works just fine!
So, I think it's a timing problem as Paul has suggested in a later
mail. Where can I set the delay_use option of usb-storage to a higher
value?

Many thanks again,
Helmut.